An introductory course on the public benefit system, which introduces the advocate to eight major benefit programs: Cash Assistance, SSI, Social Security Disability Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, the Essential Plan, Child Health Plus, and SNAP benefits. We will review the basics of eligibility and application, as well as discuss key concepts such as income, immigration status, insurance based benefits vs. needs based benefits, dual eligibility and more. You will discover available resources on the Internet, including government resources, legal services and various web-based calculators and online tools. Best practices to bring back to the work setting are included throughout the course.
Tuition: $75.00 - Sign up by 3/20/19 for the Early Bird price of $60.00.
Participants will be able to:
1. Describe the difference between needs based and insurance based benefits.
2. List the different types of eligibility criteria for needs based and insurance based benefits.
3. Identify major public benefit programs within the areas of cash, health and food.
4. Explain dual eligibility.
5. Find free resources on the Internet to assist clients with benefit access issues.
Social service professionals new to the world of public benefits, as well as for those who may need a refresher!